Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day 12 - The Elephant Adventure & Best Food in Thailand

Today we finally got to ride an elephant!!! We wanted to go elephant riding in Cambodia and in Bangkok area but both of those fell through. Today we finally succeeded! We signed up for a tour through our hotel. The tour included an hour of elephant riding, cave sightseeing, swimming in natural pools and Thai lunch.
We got picked up early in the morning by a longtail boat and taken over to the main land where a pickup
truck was waiting for us and another nice young couple from Ireland. As soon as we got to our destination the handlers took us to say Hi to the elephants and up on them we went. It was little rocky at first until we got balanced. It was fun, Chris & I both set in the seat on top of the elephant's back and the handler was on its neck.
Few minutes into it the guy asked me if I wanted to sit where he was sitting? I was little hesitant at first but I was not going to pass the opportunity, so I slid down from the seat on its neck.

It was strange, prickly and I had no idea what to do with my feet. I felt bad having it behind the elephant ears as he liked to pull them back so eventually I found a sort of a squat/straddle position on its neck that was agreeable to both of us. It was fantastic - we trekked through the jungle for a bit with frequent stops for palm tree and other snacks for the elephant. I offered for Chris to sit where I was but he said it was safer for all of us if he stays where he was at.
After our wonderful ride was over we bought some bananas and fed them to the elephant. It was fascinating to see them sniff around with the trunk, grab them with it and just throw them in their mouth.
Once our elephant encounter was over the guide took us to explore caves on the property followed by a wonderful swim in cool and shady pools fed by natural springs. It was just what we needed!
The amazing experience was topped of by a surprisingly delicious homemade Thai lunch. We both agreed that it was the best food we have had in Thailand so far!!!

No comments: