Friday, May 22, 2009

5/22 - Sunrise to Sunset

Today was the first day that I actually saw a sunrise!!! Chris was trying to be mean and woke me up to show it to me, expecting me to just roll over and ignore him... but man was he surprised when I sprang out of the bed and armed with my camera headed for the balcony. It was beautiful... I took several pictures and headed back under my covers....
Despite it's early start today was a slow day. We didn't have a precise plan,
we were just going to do a couple of hikes in the local parks and finish the day off in Sooke. It was another beautiful day on Vancouver Island - 70+ (20) and not a cloud in sight.
After Dad's two hour bike ride and our wonderful breakfast we packed up the crew and let Heidi find our way to Goldstream Provincial Park. There we hiked to see the Niagara Falls... yep I always thought they were on the east coast....but hey what do I know. Well they were nothing to be compared to the real ones... but it was nice just the same. After Niagara falls we wanted to find yet another hike to falls... but somehow Heidi has failed us and we were only able to find our way out of the park into a residential area. We didn't let that stop us and continued to Sooke where we wanted to hike the Whiffin Spit in Sooke. It was a nice hike where Lucka collected washed out glass, Mom talked to all the strangers along the way and I tried unsuccessfully for the most part setup the camera to take the perfect group shot - it is like herding cats.. and the boys were just along for the ride ;o). It was a nice walk after which we were in need of some nourishment. Well, I just needed alcohol... but Mom was in mood for a soup.
We found this wonderful place right on the water... an
d we had some snacks... soup... and of course wine!
Once we returned back to the house we split up - Mom & Dad headed for a hike and we went to explore the
surrounding areas to see where we could hike up to. We were very surprised when we on an accident drove up this park and after a short hike found a 360 view of the whole island. We intended to return there for the sunset and so we did. It was beautiful... even though a lil chilly. Luckily my sister was kind enough to put some red wine in a plastic bottle to keep me warm.
Tomorrow is our final day here... we are heading back to Vancouver to board our cruise ship... our home for the next 7 days... hopefully they will have Internet so I can continue my rambling.

No comments: