Monday, December 29, 2008

2nd Day in Belize

We started the day early as there is really no sleeping in with all the jungle noises. We headed to San Ignacio, had a breakfast and left a message for Patty & Erinn that we would not meet up with them until the following morning.
The main destinations fo
r the day were Rio Frio, Rio On and Thousand (actually 1600ft) Foot Falls. Little didn't we know how long 15 miles can take. Two hours later we finally bumped and rattled our way to Rio Frio. We did not see one car on the road the whole way there, the only human contact we had was the armed checkpoint we had to go through. Rio Frio was a really huge cave tunnel with waterfalls and pool. Once we got our fill of the cave we backtrack 30 minutes or so to Rio On. Rio On is a sequence of pools and waterfalls and I manage to wipe out quite nicely on the very slippery rocks before I even got wet, oh and I thought I killed the camera too. Luckily for me.. and Chris (since he would have to listen to me complain) the healing waters cooled down my huge bruises and I walked away almost without a scretch - just my elbow hurt and the camera just needed lil convincing to work again.
We did end up driving to the Falls but we regreted that decision as it took us almost 1.5hr round trip and it really was not worth it... but who would have known that. Driving on the actual road during the night sucked so bad as our lights didn't really shine ahead but rather down below (that proved to be very handy on the dirt road but not so much on the asphalt) and we couldn't see any pedastrians or the plentiful farm animals strolling along the way.
All of this was followed once again by plentiful cuba libres and nice dinner with our new friends from Canada.

No comments: